Our latest faculty spotlight is Heather DeSimone! The FoHCS will now be doing faculty spotlights so that everyone can learn more about our amazing staff, faculty & administration.
The Hoboken Charter School is made great by the individuals who actively carry out our mission with respect to education, service, and critical thinking. Outside the classroom, they also exemplify the thoughtfulness and behavior they seek to instill in our children on a daily basis. Learn more about what makes our HCS faculty truly awesome!
FACULTY SPOTLIGHT !!
Heather DeSimone: School Social Worker, Anti-Bullying Coordinator, Homeless Liaison
1. I was born and raised in Howell, New Jersey.
2. I have an older sister with a disability and I went through life seeing all of the support social workers, among many other providers and educators, gave her in order to be a successful, functioning adult. I knew I wanted to be able to help others in that same way.
3. I attended undergraduate school at the University of Delaware and received a Bachelors in Psychology with a Minor in Legal Studies. For graduate school, I attended Monmouth University and received my Master’s in Social Work with a concentration in Clinical Practice with Families and Children.
4. After graduating with my Masters in Social Work, I spent six months working on an Inpatient psychiatric unit with both adolescents and adults. However, I knew my passion was working in the school setting. I accepted a six month maternity position in the Howell Public Schools, and then worked full time for two years for the Bayonne Board of Education as a Child Study Team Social Worker. I joined HCS in September, as it is exactly the position I have always wanted! I also work part time after school as a child and family therapist in private practice.
5. I feel really proud when I see success in my students and private clients. It gives me such joy to know that I could’ve contributed to a small part of that success.
6. Most parents and students don’t know that I have been a competitive figure skater since in was eight years old. I have completed in singles skating and in synchronized skating at the state, sectional, and national level. I also competed for the University of Delaware Skating Team during college and earned two national titles. I still continue to skate on an adult competitive team, but mostly just for fun! I also have over five years of experience coaching individual, group, and team skating.
7. My favorite Hoboken restaurant is Napoli’s- a great go-to for dine in and take out!
8. I am a huge J.K. Rowling fan- her creativity and imagination are admirable!
9. The best thing about HCS is how supportive and collaborative the staff are as a team in order to ensure student success. Also, the students are so fun and friendly- they always make my day!
10. Besides ice skating, when I am not at school, my favorite thing to do is spend time with my family, friends, and my puggle pup Bailey!