Before there was Sandy, a fire at 713 Washington St. was the big local disaster of 2012. The Sept. 6 blaze displaced students at the Hoboken Charter School. All four floors plus the basement were ruined, three of which had been fully renovated only a year earlier by the Hoboken Charter School themselves.
Yet, the school has pushed on with an array of unusual programs for its students.
“The smallness is a real draw for our high school,” said Principal of the K-8 program and Executive Director of the K-12 program Deirdra Grode. “We are able to personalize the programs and provide rich hands-on learning experiences.”
When the fire broke out at the Washington Street location, the high school students dug in to help their peers, while the K-8 kids and parents worked on fundraising.
Read the full article at Hudson Reporter – “This is a pretty cool school”.